Inverting forklift wheels

samedi 19 décembre 2015

I am getting ready to change the tires on my Cat V40 forklift. The wheels that are on it have an offset on them that puts them nearly flush with the hubs on the outside. My fenders stick out beyond the tires several inches. The tires still clear the mast by several inches.
I am wondering if I can flip the wheels so that the tires are more outboard to provide as much stability as possible. This would leave them flush with the fenders on the outside, and with a fair gap between the tires and the mast. I imagine the fenders were set up for dual fronts, but have singles now. Not sure if they use the same hub for duals or not.
The reason for wanting more stability is that I drive a lot on off camber ground with several dips that I have to traverse at an angle. I don't generally carry heavy loads, or high loads, usually no more than 1000 pounds at most. My last forklift had gotten on three wheels more than I like to think about, usually unloaded, carriage down, and hitting a small rock. I also lay the old one down on its side once. It was a slow wreck, and I got off and watched helplessly as it same into soft wet dirt on the low side crossing a slight incline. I should have quit for the day instead of trying to finish up in the rain. Hence the reason for my squeamishness regarding stability. This one is a bit wider, longer wheelbase, and bigger tires than my 3000 pound Towmotor, so I really don't anticipate any big troubles, but if I am getting new tires, I need to know which way to point the valve stems.

Thanks,
Attached Images
 


Inverting forklift wheels

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire