The learning gap

mercredi 15 juin 2016

OK, a little rant and maybe some insite for future techs. I don't consider myself an OLD tech but have been wrenching on machines for a little over 20 years. My summer job has had me working with a guy in his mid 50's who came from a company that ran mostly older 627's, D8,D9, and older excavators. Great guy but is not very informed of late model equipment (electronic controls). I have also been working with a young guy ( i call him a kid because he is 22) who knows very little about manual controls and seems to think if the computer can't tell him whats going on it cant be fixed. After about a week of working with both of them i got to thinking "whats going to happen when the old guy retires and the kid cant fix it? Or what happens if the kid gets injured or finds a different job and the old guy cant fix the machine? The simple solution was to call me and I will fix it but that is not practical since my main job takes a lot of my time. What are some of the best solutions for these problems? Team them together might work but then you are paying 2 guys for a job that should take one. Have 1 mentor the other for a week then switch back and forth until they get a grasp of both old and new technology? Hire a trainer to come in a couple times a year to help educate both old and new technology? I can see this being a problem in the next few years with older guys retiring and companies still running older machines, Who is going to be their to fix them? What are some of your thoughts?


The learning gap

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire