Grader operators

vendredi 10 juin 2016

Our company has been looking for another fine grade graderman. No GPS, no automatic slope control, just your eyes, your ass, a string line and a tape measure. Right now, there is me, the boss's son, and 4 graders. Most of our summer work consists of private driveways. 2 maintainer graders can just keep ahead of the paving crew. If we get road work, they have to pull me off the maintainer, and send me on the big grader. Depending on the job, sometimes I can be tied up for a month or more. New construction is not too bad, once I have finished the fine grade, and floated the road, because there is no traffic, I am pretty much free until they shoulder. High traffic areas, I pretty much have to babysit the road until the first lift of asphalt is on. No one is looking for work, because anyone good is working. So get this..... The boss wants me to go in in the morning for a couple of hours, and show some guy how to grade. Now what is someone going to learn in a couple of hours???? I graded a huge fill behind wiggle wagons for an entire summer before I ever went near a grade stake. I learned to spread 3 inch on a wide road. I learn new tricks every day. Most of the road work here from center line to shoulder is a little over 14 feet, most truck owners have dump trailers, no belly dumps, or belt unloaders. They only use enough inch and a quarter to fix the profile of the road so sometimes you only need an inch. The newbies always get discouraged and quit, and then someone has to clean up the mess without taking out the stakes if there are any left. Oh well let's be hopeful for this guy.


Grader operators

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire