A quick question for the veterans

mercredi 26 mars 2014

Hello, I am Sam and new to the forum. I was just going around the internet looking for advice on how to break into the industry and this seemed like the perfect place to ask and get a better feel for the industry. I am not technically an operator yet, I am certified but haven't had a company give me a shot yet. Everyone want's two years of seat time, but I just don't have it yet. Basically I was certified 4 years ago (it runs out in October), the first year a company was going to hire me but they had me apply for a wage garnishment program through the state and I didn't qualify. The next two years I worked in service, I hated it but it was a job.



I was still looking for operator jobs, but there wasn't much here in Michigan and I still sometimes got the same answer "you need two years of seat time". Now I am stuck at home since I had back surgery, had 10 vertebra fused and two rods put into my spine (I know equipment is hard on the back but the doc said I should be good). As soon as I am healed enough I am going to get re certified since my current one runs out this year.



But I have the same problem as before, I still don't have much seat time. I may not be God's gift to running iron, but I'm not some oblivious kid who can't find grade either. My question is, How can you break into the industry? How did you get a company give you a break? I'm a damn hard worker, and I am not afraid to be at the end of a shovel, but how did you guys make that jump into the iron? How did you get that "magical two years" of experience?



My aim is to get into open pit mining since I'm strongest in an excavator, not to mention rock trucks and front end loaders are easy to run. I was thinking if the interview goes to the point of not having experience, I want to offer to work for a week, pro bono, to show them that I am worth the time to train. But I don't know if that's legal.



I love running Iron, and I have wanted to do it since I was about 8. When I was in school running equipment all day, I knew for sure that I was built for it. Thanks in advance guys, any advice would really help.




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire