Advice/Help Clearing Land

dimanche 31 juillet 2016

Guys-I would really appreciate some experienced advice and opinions. I have a large tract of land (700 acres), of which about 600 is in timber. I am cutting the timber and would like to clear as much of the cutover land as I can to make open pasture/farm land. I have no experience in large machines or clearing land. I do have a skid steer as well an an 11K pound excavator so have some experience in compact equipment.

I plan to buy machines to clear the land and do a lot of it myself. I will also likely hire some folks to run the equipment while I am working my normal day job. I am not under any illusions about how quickly or easily this can be done. With that said, I do want to invest in equipment that can make the most of my time.

I am definitely getting a larger excavator and had planned to get a dozer as well. Some folks had suggested a track loader instead or maybe even a large wheeled loader. I have read about the pros and cons and it sounds like track loaders are very versatile but if you have an excavator, a lot of that versatility is unnecessary. I would spend up to about 200K total on good quality used equipment. My questions I would love help with are:

1) What size excavator? I know bigger is better, but is there a point where there isn't much difference? I have looked at a Cat 320 on up to Cat 336. The larger the machine I get, the more "used" it will be. I am blessed to have the means to buy nice machines and have the work volume to support a nice larger machine but don't want to spend a lot more money for a larger machine if it isn't going to make the job much faster.

2) Dozer, track loader, or wheeled loader? Why?

3) I am guessing the answer to that question above will be a dozer since I have an excavator. If so, which one? I had looked at a Cat 6D.

4) Lastly, anyone have any experience with a Rotor S or similar machine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAJT2ThP-4
I know that one is on a tractor, but they make an attachment for large excavators as well. I know Cat is working on a similar attachment but it isn't ready for market just yet (the rep told me it keeps "ripping the arms off of the machines with the torque.")

Thank you in advance for your assistance! I really appreciate folks who have experience and expertise taking their time to help someone like myself who is searching for advice!


Advice/Help Clearing Land

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire