Backhoe controls stiff

vendredi 24 avril 2015

'83 JD 500C backhoe. I had asked this a while back & thought maybe they'd loosen up from use, but little to no improvement. The 4 control levers for the backhoe part are all stiff. The 2 outer ones to raise/lower the stabilizers are stiff, but workable. The left one does tend to want to stick instead of returning to a neutral position when I let go of it when pulling back to raise.

The 2 center levers for the arm & bucket are much stiffer. The left one is especially bad for swinging the arm left/right. Very difficult to move so I end up pushing a lot harder than 'normal' and then get a fast swing. Making a nice easy left/right movement is nearly impossible (but it's smooth enough moving forward/back and can make fine movements). I can either bump it and let the arm 'creep' or else it's going at full speed. Anything in between is hard to get the right spot. This lever also seems to dislike being in a neutral center position. Just driving around will often let the lever bump a little and the arm slowly swings itself all the way to one side or the other. By slowly, I mean it will go from centered to bumping up against a stabilizer over 5-10 min. Sometimes it stays put, sometimes it drifts to either side - probably determined by how rough/bumpy the ride is. The right lever seemed to loosen up a little with use. Still much stiffer than a typical control, but I can make fine movements, it returns to center, & doesn't drift.

So far, I've found about 2400 zerk fitting to grease the machine (I might be exagerrating by a few), but i don't see anything around these to lubricate. Haven't taken the cover off & really looked at it - mostly because I don't know what I'm looking for. I assume there's some sort of cam or springs that make the levers want to return to the neutral centered position when you let go of them? I could look for something like that or crud in the area. Maybe spray the linkages with some penetrating oil & work them around?

I haven't seen anything in the OM about maintenance for those controls. Since I know little about caring for this machine (I've always rented & let Hertz worry about that sort of stuff :) ) I don't know if there's some basic maintenance task that would fix me right up or if this is an indication of a serious problem with that cluster of hydraulic valves or a hydraulic return issue or some other 'needs a shop to fix' sort of thing. It does dig just fine. Have done a lot of work with it. It's useable as it is, just annoying always checking & correcting the swing position when I'm using it as a FEL and finessing the swing position to get it just right while digging.


Backhoe controls stiff

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire