Heavy machinery rental: Any tips for a rookie?

samedi 25 avril 2015

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum, nice to meet you all and thanks in advance for your tips and guidance.

We have a family business, running some heavy machinery, (wheel and skid loaders, trucks, excavators etc.) and I would like to change the business model, because the current one comes with a lot of problems (working for super low prices for one big company, who is our main client).

Since we have a small group of machines, I was thinking letting them out, so in the long term we could stick with servicing the equipment and doing work on site, for our clients on a per hour basis. Since I don't have a background in this kind of work I would like to hear some tips from you; what to look for operating such a business, what are the pitfalls etc.

My main thoughts so far:
- We mainly buy used machines in good condition and repair them if necessary. I would continue to do this in the future to grow the company.
- We would only let out the machines with our own operator to ensure the best possible working conditions, and that our machines are always kept in good condition even on the working site.
- We would estabilish a fix price that would cover the transportation of the machine. I was thinking we could buy a trailer, but transporting larger machines, would require a really expensive one.
- We have a two CAT a Liebherr and a Volvo wheel loader. We have access to a magic man who is a pro servicing Liebherr machines, but many people say Volvo makes the best machines overall. No doubt, servicing is key; I'm hesitant to go with the Volvos as I don't have access to a solid service man. On the other hand our employees really like to work with the Volvo. Are there any older, solid pieces in the Liebherr arsenal you could recommend?
- What are the options for winter other than snow work? We know from experience, working with salt and water can amortize equipment really fast, I would avoid that if possible.

If you have any tips on this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt


Heavy machinery rental: Any tips for a rookie?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire