Where's all the air getting into my fuel?

samedi 29 août 2015

I recently discovered my old ASV MD2810 fuel tank innards are all scummy & rusty when the machine quickly plugged a couple of disposable pre-filters. I drained that tank and while trying to decide how it's best to deal with it I've cobbled up a temp tank, using transparent urethane hoses. Because the hoses are transparent, I can see that there's a LOT of air in the lines, starting where the fuel exits the filter, and perhaps more by the time it's been run through the IP and is traveling through the return-hose to the temp tank - where it looks more like suds than fuel because of all the air.

Name: ASV temp fuel connections (air).jpg Views: 4 Size: 55.9 KB

This ain't normal, is it?

I could put this down to, oh, I don't know, vacuum-boiling of entrained air in the fuel from being sucked through the IP, but the idle varies a lot (new problem) and keeps making me think it's about to stall - and it doesn't start as easily as before, either.

I know next to nothing about rotary IPs but since there's no lift-pump, I gather they produce enough suction to draw the fuel up from the tank and through the filter. If there were a leak up high in the filter-housing, I'm thinking that might do it (and no fuel would drip out after shutdown). I've spun the filter off enough to look at the o-ring gasket and seat, and they look OK. There's a crappy purge-pump built into the top of the housing (no handle on it) so I suppose there might be a leaking seal in that. Anyone been through something like this?

--Dave
Attached Images
 


Where's all the air getting into my fuel?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire