Should I mention non-union experience when applying for a union apprenticeship?

dimanche 25 janvier 2015

There's an apprenticeship opening up in my area soon and I'm going to go pick up the application. I've been working for a non-union company for the past 6 months running a skid steer loader, pretty much purely as a learning experience (I told the owner I'd work for free to learn; he offered to pay me about half of what other operators make instead and I took the job in a heartbeat). My question is: should I mention this when I apply to the apprenticeship or at the interview? There's a clause that says any applicant claiming previous experience will be tested. In all honesty, I'm just about at the point where I'm comfortable doing all the basic tasks of a skid steer loader--I'm certainly not an expert. I don't know what their "test" would be like or if I'd even pass. Moreover, even though the company I've been working for is outside of the Local's jurisdiction, I'm worried about saying I've been working non-union. So far I've been told to say I've been running a skid steer on residential jobs (all non-union around here) or to not tell them about the last 6 months at all and let them think I can't operate anything. What do you guys think? Any advice to offer?





Should I mention non-union experience when applying for a union apprenticeship?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire