Can a Case 188 block be a donor for a cracked 207 block?

mercredi 27 janvier 2016

First time poster, but I have checked the forum search here for previous threads on this subject. I found a few but they all were kinda short on specifics.

I have a 1978 Case 580C backhoe that I just bought (got it for relatively cheap) and the block is shot.
It has the 207D non turbo engine. Engine Serial no 2850509
Pulled the sleeves and the block is cracked between all four cylinders. Water froze.
The engine has low hrs (2700) and everything else specs out. I checked the crank and it is on the high side of standard. Same with valvetrain,..almost zero wear. Head is in great shape, as well as everything else on the backhoe itself. It's a shame this block is shot because everything else is in outstanding shape. What to do?

I have had no luck finding a 207 block or even a core engine. I have found a few 188 engines and have heard that the "blocks are the same" But I need to be convinced before I dump money into a 188 donor core motor.

I see where the 188 and the 207 have the same stroke, but different bores. When they went from the smaller bore on the 188 to the larger bore on the 207 did they achieve this by just making the wet sleeves thinner? Or did they change the actual bore of the block that the wet sleeves went into?
(Want to know if my 207 sleeves, pistons, and rods will fit in there)

I've also heard that some of the 188 blocks had different widths on the lips of the wet sleeves on top.
If so,...which 188 type should I be looking for to allow me to use my 207 sleeves?

Reason I want to know is that what I'd like to do is buy the 188 and just use the block,...and swap all the 207 intermals over to that block. I know the rod journals are different on the 188 but if I swap the crank,....that shouldn't matter right?

The guy about 2 hrs North of me has a few 188's to choose from,...is there one specific type (year, etc.) in particular to look for or even ones to specifically NOT choose. ?

Basically, I want to know,...for 100% sure,...that if I had a bare, completely stripped 188 block, can it be used to put all my 207 stuff in without issues?

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this. I am hoping to get this machine together soon so I can put it to work on my new homestead. Have lots of projects in mind.....


Can a Case 188 block be a donor for a cracked 207 block?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire