Quoting shop and field repairs

mercredi 24 février 2016

I own a machine shop currently, but I'm looking to branch out into repairs. I've worked professionally as a truck mechanic and I have the tools and equipment in my shop to take on most jobs including major engine rebuilds and line boring. I'm not really set up to work in the field, but we'll get there. Plenty of insurance and that good stuff.

Anyway, I'm wondering how you guys handle quoting repairs. Does a customer expect you to estimate the repair cost without seeing the machine? How much are you held to the quote?

When I worked in the truck shop, estimating the cost of a repair was usually possible and we were usually close on the straight forward stuff. Service, inspection, brakes, wheel seal, clutch, water pump, etc were unlikely to have a lot of surprises. Even an inframe overhauls was usually easy to estimate unless there was a spun bearing or broken crank or something unusual.

In the machine shop world, I'm usually quoting making a new part or multiples of a new part. I give a quote and that is exactly what the customer pays. If I screw up, I take it on the chin. If I somehow come out ahead, I keep it really quiet. Things are very rarely done on "time and materials" terms and the customer is mostly shopping on price and sometimes lead time. Quoting so that we can make money and still get the work is the hardest part of my job.

I'd like to hear what others are doing.


Quoting shop and field repairs

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire