Engine Swap Questions

vendredi 27 février 2015

My 1986 International 1600 has informed me that its 6.9 diesel is no longer interested in going down the road. The reason I know this is the muffled rapping sounds coming from low in the block, and that any resemblance of oil pressure has ceased to register on the dash gauge. Having driven this truck for a few years, I have come to like it and feel its worthy of repowering. The engine(s) of choice seem to be the 93-94 Ford 7.3 IDI naturally aspirated, the later model 7.3 turbocharged, or the 7.3 Power-Strokes. Each seem to have their strengths. The early model IDI's seem to be able to virtually drop right in. Easy to maintain for old school backyard mechanics like myself. Not sure if it will give me any increase in power or speed (both sorely lacking with my old 6.9), but at least I'll be going down the road again. The turbo engines seem to need some "onboard computer stuff" which I have ZERO knowlege about, but will increase horsepower which ='s carrying 5 yds of material uphill without having to downshift to 3-low. Then there's the late model powerstrokes that I'm told I have no business trying to fiddle with, replacement parts (injectors etc) very expensive, not to mention more "computer stuff", AND they're expensive to buy! I'm leaning more toward the turbo cuz they seem to be plentiful and reasonably priced. As i'm gathering info/knowlege about this project I've been told there may be some challenges with sensors, as well as problems with the oil cooler. Has anybody that has done this job before able to share their wisdom on engine selection, sensor issues, and what's the deal with the oil cooler? Many thanks ....





Engine Swap Questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire