General backhoe questions

vendredi 27 mars 2015

Hi guys! New backhoe owner & I have some general questions. Have an older JD 300C. Not going to win any beauty contests, but everything works as it should for the most part. I'm a novice operator at best - probably about 80 hrs total running one.



#1 How should the machine be parked when left to sit for long periods of time? Just drop the buckets to the ground or should the hoe be fully extended & down? Outriggers left up or dropped to the ground?



#2 The alternator isn't wired correctly. Will have that fixed, but am not going to go thru the trouble of moving it to a shop just to fix that. So basically it runs off the battery. Is there an issue with that? I don't use the lights so other than starting it, is the diesel engine using the battery for anything? Attaching a 50W solar charger w/ regulator to recharge between uses. So i'm wondering can it just run off a charged battery 4-6 hrs at a time? I use the machine very little so it would probably have a week between uses to solar charge back up.



#3 The rear swing controls are stiff. They work, but it's difficult to make fine movements or 'gently' swing the hoe. Other machines I've used you could about use fingertip pressure to work those controls. The best I can describe this is the difference in feel turning the wheels on a car with & without power steering at a stop - easy w/ power steering, more effort but possible w/o power steering. Is this an indication of a bad condition I need to have repaired or just a nuisance?



#4 Anything special I need to use for hydraulic fluid? Is regular R&O tractor hydraulic oil ok (ISO 32) or do I need something else?



#5 I only need to use it occasionally - say once a month. To keep the gremlins at bay I assume I should start it up, drive it around a little, & run the buckets through their range of motion in between uses. What would be a good interval for that? a 5-10 min exercise once per week?



#6 Lastly, I primarily use it as frontend loader moving bucketfuls Carolina red clay & gravel. My land is really soft, can stay muddy for days after a rain, but is mosly flat except one small hill. I know guys with 2WD tractors will fill the rear tires with fluid for better traction & balance for heavy FEL loads. My machine is 2WD & has AG tires on the rear that are probably 75% or better tread. Would filling the tires be beneficial? I'm thinking all the weight on the rear from the hoe should be plenty & more isn't going to do anything except help the rear tires dig deeper if it gets stuck but I really don't know.



Thanks in advance & sorry for all the dumb questions.





General backhoe questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire