John deere accumulator recharge adpater

lundi 26 décembre 2016

So most accumulators I've seen use a tire valve/shrader thread which happens to be 0.303 - 32 outside thread, lots of accumulators and the shocks on a couple of my bikes too, just another accumulator. Well, John Deere in the big grand FU says we're doing things differently, because we can! Okay, so its a schrader type fitting down in the bottom of a hole! Big hole and deep! It turns out the thread on the ID of the hole is 1/2-20, simple enough, and its pretty deep, and there's an o-ring and bore reduction right as you get to the bottom.

One thing I have never tried is cutting threads on the lathe using a tool other than a tap or die, good old fashioned single point threading. I needed a piece of good stock, so I found a big 8.8 bolt, maybe a 16mm oddball, harder metal turns better, smaller grain size. My threading tool wasn't perfect, carbide tipped bit but cheap china construction, very thin carbide.

I spun the bolt down to a piece of bar stock with a .502 diameter, a little more than is needed for 1/2 inch fine thread (.480 ish) I cut the small end first, whittling it down to .308 and then threading, carefully removing more until the fitting almost threaded on, a little sanding of the major diameter made a really good fit fit with a bit of drag all the way on. Spun the part around and cut the 1/2 inch threads the same way, testing with the part once it was close for a snug fit, then spinning off the last few threads to match up with the o-ring at the bottom. I decided to add a hex, so bored out a 7/16 nut and pressed it over the adapter, welding it in place and cutting an o-ring groove on the other side to match up with the top of the accumulator.

Name: adapter.jpg Views: 1 Size: 40.1 KB


To utilize the remote valve feature, I bored a 5/32 hole down the middle, and stepped it out to 7/32 at the bottom. I took an 8 penny nail and trimmed it to length by assembling the adapter and letting the nail sit on the valve below to find the length. I welded a little bead near the bottom and turned the bead around to just let it slide past the 7/32 bore, then put some stake marks around the bore to lock it in place.

Name: accumulator.jpg Views: 1 Size: 44.9 KB


This should work just dandy!!
Attached Images
  


John deere accumulator recharge adpater

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire