Case / Cummins over fueling

mardi 26 août 2014

I started to title this thread "Gee, I wonder how bad I screwed myself?", but I figured something more descriptive was better.



I build artificial reefs in the ocean. I do this with another contractor who owns the tug and barge, I own the trucks and equipment.



I had left my 580 SK at the dock and he used it in the yard a little. When I got back, I saw that the exhaust pipe had rusted at the bottom and leaned over where it could hit the loader arm and gotten knocked off. He said he had already ordered a new one. I asked if he had kept it covered. He said he had except for once it had been in a light sprinkle for 3-5 minutes until he could get it covered. He had run it a few times since then, so I didn't worry about it. I cranked it up and let it run at about 11-1200 rpm for 15-20 minutes just to let it warm up and make sure the batteries were charged (no load at all). It ran smoothly with no smoke. I put a tight fitting plastic bottle on the exhaust pipe and we went to sea.



Later that evening at the reef site, I cranked it up and began unloading the barge. It skipped when I first started it. After 3 or 4 minutes, I noticed I was getting a lot of exhaust fumes, and realized I had left the bottle on the muffler below the hood line. Once I took that off, I saw it was putting out a lot of grey fuel smelling smoke. At this point, if we had been on the hill, I would have shut it down and fixed it, but, my friend had $8-9,000 invested in getting me out there. It usually only takes me 40 minutes to offload a barge full.



The machine had very low power which got lower as I ran it, and the smoke got darker. Every time I had to wait for the tug to circle back to the buoy, I shut it off. It always cranked right back up very well. I ran it for 3 or 4 fifteen minute sessions with about 5 minutes rest in between. By the end, it was so weak it could hardly lift the boom with no load, wouldn't turn but about 1000rpm-no load, and the smoke was black as coal. I really hope I didn't wash a cylinder or burn a piston.



This is a 580 sK phase 3 with a naturally aspirated, mechanically controlled, Case 4-390. (Cummins B3.9)



In the morning I will check the air intake system, loosen the injector lines one at a time to see if one makes less difference, pull and inspect the injectors, and do a compression test.



Does anyone have any ideas I may have missed?





Case / Cummins over fueling

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire