What's the secret?

samedi 30 août 2014

I just rebuilt one of the steering cylinders on my Case 580SE backhoe. Everything ended up just fine, and in fact was simpler than I expected, except for one thing. It took me almost an hour to get the main rod seal inside the gland. This seal has an O-ring inside of it, and not only was it nearly impossible to physically get the seal into the groove inside the gland, but the O-ring kept trying to pop out from inside the seal. I finally got it in, but just through shear persistence and the utilization of assortment of wooden dowels, dental tools and some spirits to calm the temptation to smash it to pieces.



The main problem for me is that the shaft or rod is about 3/4" OD, and so I'm trying to cram this thick stiff 2-part seal into the gland and get it oriented into the groove. I followed the Case instruction exactly, which said to just "put it in there".



Surely there is another way, as no sane person would design something this way. Please, someone fill me in on the secret. I swear allegiance to the backhoe club and promise to never divulge it to an outsider or girl.



Garret





What's the secret?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire