Titan weld on thumb install.

samedi 27 août 2016

This is my Titan 36" weld on thumb install:

This did not come with instructions and I'm not saying this is the right way to install one but its how I did it and it seems to work okay.

First off my welding is limited by lack of skill and equipment. My welder at home is a Lincoln SP100 mig. I was doing this outside with a light breeze which isn't the best conditions. I turned the heat all the way up, set my wire feed at 4, and cranked the shielding gas up to 28 CFM. Each weld required 3 or 4 passes starting as deep in the groove as I could get and working my way out. This little 100 amp welder has a 20% duty cycle so I have to weld a couple of minutes then let it cool for 8 or 10. Takes patience but it gets the job done.

Name: IMG_1309.jpg Views: 1 Size: 29.4 KB

To set it up I curled the bucket all the way in and pulled the dipstick in to a point I could rest it. I assembled the thumb components and set it on the boom resting against the bucket. I set the stow bracket so the thumb was in contact with the bucket teeth. This had an unplanned benefit in that when I went to stow it after use I could curl the bucket all the way in and the support arm holes were in alignment with the stow bracket. Of course I had to set it up and mark the location where I needed to grind off the paint then set it up again to weld.

Name: IMG_1306.jpg Views: 1 Size: 49.8 KB

Name: IMG_1307.jpg Views: 1 Size: 38.6 KB

The support arm was rounded on one side but they left the back side flat. Either way I installed it would bind before the holes lined up so I had to grind the ends so they were rounded on both sides. The length of the support arm isn't long enough to set the thumb a full 90 degrees. I was hoping to be able to set it slightly forward but that isn't possible with the supplied support.

Name: IMG_1302.jpg Views: 1 Size: 37.4 KB

This is one heavy hunk of metal for the price of $215 shipped. The thumb has 5/8" sides with 1/2" front and back plates. The mounting and stow brackets are formed 1/2" u channel. The support arm is made from 3/4" sides with 1/2" front and back plates. It won't be anywhere near as handy as a hydraulic thumb but will be much better than no thumb at all. It could be converted to hydraulic but the cost isn't in my budget right now.

Name: IMG_1316.jpg Views: 1 Size: 52.6 KB
Attached Images
     


Titan weld on thumb install.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire