Broken leaf spring and crash course in driving a big truck?

dimanche 30 octobre 2016

I got the new to me dump truck serviced and they said one of the rear leaf springs was broken. Taking a quick look with a different shop foreman when I picked it up we couldn't see where it was broken. They said it's about 8 hours labor to replace a spring pack on Hendricksen suspension. The truck is going to be used off road and never more than 15-20 mph. For what I'm using the truck for, is the broken spring something to worry about and just keep an eye on or is it going to cause big problems? There is a heavy truck wrecker not too far away that likely has a used spring set. Would it be good to see if they can replace the spring? From what I've read the springs can be removed separately.

As far as driving, it was the first time I drove a heavy truck with a non syncro transmission. Asked the GF's step dad who drove big rigs for 35 years if he could drive it for me but no chance of that happening. It didn't have a safety and was 22 years old, and if something happened he'd be on the hook yadda, yadda, yadda. I had temporary insurance and an in transit permit. The truck drove to the auction and RB's does a basic equipment check to make sure the brakes, steering, transmission, etc. are working. I would think an experienced heavy truck driver could tell pretty quick if a truck was road worthy or not. The truck had an alignment in 2014 so must have been on the road then. Anyway, I searched the internet and watched some video's and picked it up Saturday. The truck drove great although I didn't do the transmission any favors. LoL Biggest problem at first was too high of revs. Not used to driving something that shifts under 1500 RPM's. Then I found it was easier shifting without the clutch than trying to double clutch. Downshifting, well that's something I'll have to learn. The shop is open 7 days a week so I did a lot better today taking the truck out to my land. The truck is a 9 speed but think has lower gearing because 60 mph was about 1650 rpm. Still not too happy the "truck driver" couldn't have helped me out. It would have been better if he just said he couldn't do it but when talking to the GF's mom, I could hear him swearing and going on in the background. Sorry, I can't afford a new $160,000 dump truck. Have no use for that arrogant azz.


Broken leaf spring and crash course in driving a big truck?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire