Ive been renting for years. About to make the plunge on a used piece of equipment.

lundi 31 octobre 2016

I've been renting excavators for 12 years as we dont use them very often, but when we do, the bills are always pretty big. We occasionally dig about 30' deep and when we rent excavators, they're never brand new. Ive rarely had a piece of equipment break asides from a hose here or there.

Ive been closely watching auctions an seeing 48K-70K lb machines with about 4000-6000 hours on them going for prices I think are pretty good. I've even gone so far as paying mechanics to go to the machines and make assessments of the machines before they sell so I can compare prices to the condition they are in. They check for leaking cylinders, take readings on the pressure the pumps are putting out, measure sprockets for the undercarriage, and just do an overall assessment of the machines.

I've run excavators for years and own some telehandlers, bobcats, backhoes, and a mid size excavator.. But, Ive never owned a "big" excavator. Aside from what I listed above, what else should I be looking for so I don't get bit in the ass on a used sale? My use frequency does not warrant a brand new machine. Is there any secret or obvious industry knowledge when it comes to a larger excavator with 4000+ hours on it? Any help or advice (general or specific) is much appreciated.

BTW-- Ive mostly been looking at Cat 320's and up, Kobelco SK210's and up. My ideal machine would weigh around 55K pounds with a quick coupler and wet kit.


Ive been renting for years. About to make the plunge on a used piece of equipment.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire