Help getting into the heavy equipment field...

vendredi 26 septembre 2014

Hi, I am new here and actually came in with a very specific purpose: I am looking for guidance about how to get into this field.



I am a college student, and I am looking to expand my skill set-- with the way that today's economy is, I want to make sure that when I come out of school that I have a marketable skill set: if I can't get a job as a pencil pusher, I want to be able to say 'you know what, not only can I do community planning/zoning, but I can run that backhoe and drive that dump truck too..' Not to mention the possibility of getting a part time job to help cover my tuition! (At damn near $20k a year for state school, I am going to be paying Uncle Sam back for a long time....)





Anyway, my biggest hurdle is actually getting into this field. I don't have the option to do an apprenticeship with a union, since I am a full time student-- and most job openings want years of experience! Not to mention just sitting the hoisting license exam here requires a letter from a company saying that you know how to operate the machinery-- kind of ironic: you need experience to get the license, but to get the experience you need a license!





Not to mention to get your CDL around here, you need to have a truck to road test in. And I have a hunch not too many companies just lend out their $100k trucks.....







So does anybody have any ideas for me as to how to get my foot in? Or better yet, anybody in the Rhode Island area willing to take on a greenhorn for weekend work/odd jobs? I know that's like asking for the keys to the castle!

---- I have experience driving box trucks, I've run forklifts, and have a fairly good head on my shoulders; and since I know nothing, I am willing to work for next to nothing (just enough to make it legal..)





If anybody has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the guidance.



Thank you for your help,

-B





Help getting into the heavy equipment field...

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire