Early 70's Cat 988A or Mid 80's 550 Dresser Loader...Whats it worth and relaibility?

lundi 27 juillet 2015

I'm looking for a good used loader to load chopped corn/hay silage into a TMR mixer from a packed bunker silo on a daily basis. This will be used on a sand surface and not concrete. It might get muddy on the top 6" during the spring thaw. I am looking at the following loaders right now from private owners and I need some advise on either one and which is better for reliability, parts availability, easier to operate, and cost to operate. It has to start easily in cold northern US winters. I have no experience with these model loaders as I have run IH/Dresser 515B for the last 15+ years but they only have 1.5 yard buckets.

Cat 988A - 71' or 72' model with 3308 Cat Engine?....hard to read the data plates. Hours unknown but supposedly was used to load gravel trucks in a pit for 40+ years. Have to replace the center pins and bushings, steering cylinder bushings/pins, as they are worn. Engine was rebuilt at some time but can not verify that. No blow-by on it though. It has 29.5R29 tires with 95+% tread but are 10-12 years old now. Seems like an odd-size tire. Owner says they cost $6500 today new. Has a propane heater installed. 7-yard bucket with teeth I prefer for it's capacity in light material like silage but I will have to remove the teeth from it. Owner is asking low 20's for price to recoup some cost for the tires.

85' Dresser 550 with 855 Cummins engine. Hours are unknown but runs good and no engine blow-by. Seems easy to operate. I know the 855 Cummins has more parts available almost everywhere but I am not sure about the parts for the tranny or axles on this. The 855 was rebuilt at some point but no records for that. It has a smaller bucket at 5.5 yards. New cutting edge. Used to load sand for many years from a pit. Owner is asking about $17K.

No noticeable leaks were on either of these machines and they seems to run fine. I am trying to factor in what it would cost to rebuild (tranny, engine, axles, etc...) either of these machines with my decision...which I hear can be much higher on a CAT. Any ideas which is a better choice?


Early 70's Cat 988A or Mid 80's 550 Dresser Loader...Whats it worth and relaibility?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire