D4E and D3B Opinons (purchase)

mardi 29 mars 2016

I've been having zero luck finding a decent dozer on Craigslist...the last three I wanted to look at were sold within a day, and I didn't even get to look at them. So, I've expanded my search a bit and found two I may be interested in looking at, and thought I'd get some input here.

For background, I only have 20 acres, but my projects are going to be spread out over the next year or so, and some will happen in stages, so renting is out of the question. Examples of projects are a pile of about 3,000 cubic yards I need to move/grade to raise up a low spot where I knocked down a house (we bought several adjacent properties and knocked down the houses). Then I have about 2,000ft of fence line to cut through light trees (2-3" max) along the perimeter of our property. I'm also going to make a shooting berm for a pistol bay (50yds deep, with side berms)...probably 10ft high at least. In short, nothing huge, no ponds to dig, no big trees to push down (I'll cut them down and dig the stumps out with my backhoe). I'm a weekend warrior....a couple of hours here, a couple of hours there, so I'm not trying to make money at this.

I thought I wanted something in the size of a D3, but I've read so many mixed comments about the earlier models with dry clutches/brakes and pedal steering (in general) I'm not sure if I should drive the 2.5hrs to go look at this one. It was repainted, which always makes me wonder, but the UC looks good in the pictures, and at least this way you can see leaks, etc. The dealer said the hour meter doesn't work (go figure) but he estimates that it's got probably 5,000 hours on it going off other wear. Aside from the UC and checking for excessive blow by (typical 3204 problem) are there any things I should really look out for?

http://ift.tt/1VSrCoa

The first link doesn't want to take you to the exact machine, but they only have one D3b listed. This might work better:

http://ift.tt/1VSrAwz

I hadn't planned on looking at anything quite as big as this D4E, but it seems like a lot of people are a fan of them, and parts are readily available. I have no idea what the seller means by "average undercarriage" but it's only about an hour from me, so it won't hurt to take a look. Aside from not being able to tell much about the UC from the pictures, it looks like there might be leaks around several of the cylinders/pistons, and I'm not sure what's going on with the cutting edge...almost looks like it's not even there, right? Anything to pay extra attention to on this? I've read that finals are the weak point, but I can't imagine an easy way to really inspect them on the lot. The good thing is it's pretty inexpensive, and they might have some wiggle room built in. Thoughts?

http://ift.tt/1VSrCoc


D4E and D3B Opinons (purchase)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire