Need advice with John Deere 310SE rear end problem

lundi 21 avril 2014

Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum, and am hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.



I have recently acquired a 1998 John Deere 310SE for 'light duty' personal use around the property, knowing it has an apparent problem with the rear end. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and have a lot of experience in light mechanical and fab work, but I've never worked on heavy equipment. So, I thought it would be best to ask a few questions regarding what I might expect before I start opening things up.



Here's what it's doing...



In 4wd, the front axle has power and the backhoe will drive both forward and backward. In 2 wheel drive, the rear driveline turns, but there's no power getting to the wheels in either forward or reverse, and there's a pretty heavy clunk-clunk-clunk coming from the rear end. If I engage the diff lock in 2WD, it will power itself in reverse, but in forward it still clunks and won't move (which seems very odd to me).



Initially, I thought it might be a problem with the reverser, but since the rear driveline is actually turning, I'm assuming the problem is entirely confined to the rear end. And since it has power in reverse with the diff locked, I don't think it's a problem with either the planetaries, or the ring and pinion set. Instead, I'm leaning toward the differential itself, or maybe the diff-lock system.



I think I can get to the diff-lock system with the rear end in place, but if I have to get into the diff itself, I'm pretty sure I have to drop the whole axle... and, the backhoe won't fit through the door to get into my shop, so I'll be working on it in the yard. It would certainly be nice if I didn't have to pull the rear end out and drag it to the shop in order to fix this... But, I can if I have to.



What do you think? Am I on the right track? Have I overlooked something? Are there any quick checks I could do that could narrow down the possibilities?



Thanks for any advice.



(BTW - I do have a service manual for reference.)




0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire