Case 580E - Trans or Hydraulic Problem? Won't move.

mercredi 26 novembre 2014

Hi folks. I had a username on here a year or two ago but have gotten a new computer and lost that info. I am having an equipment issue with the shuttle drive system or hydraulic system on my backhoe and would like your feedback. I have searched the forum and cannot find what I need in an existing post. Please redirect me if I have missed it as I don't want to clutter the page.



I have a Case 580 Super E Backhoe, 4x4, with the 4-in-1 bucket and Extend-A-Hoe. Machine hours are just under 7,000. It was used by a paving company since new and the front end loader has numerous welds from what I imagine would be someone ramming old asphalt to tear it up. It does NOT have the strongest hydraulic system. The hoe will not lift the machine's rear end unless you really push it, and then it leaks back down really fast. This gives you an idea of the machine's general condition.



I have owned this backhoe for one year. Bought it for $10,500 last winter. It has always been a bit sluggish. Never wants to climb a slight hill, even in low gears. Engine runs fine, does not bog down. Seems to me like a clutch or something is slipping but I don't know anything about the internals on these units. Here are a list of the symptoms:



1. Machine is sluggish for 1 year. Doesn't like going up hills.

2. Hydraulic filter light recently comes on and off upon first few minutes of driving.

3. Machine has more power once hydraulics warm up.

4. Hydraulic fluid is smelly. Like burnt metal.

5. Machine began making a CRASHING sound internally (sounded like drivetrain beneath my feet) while moving stacks of wood with the front end loader--as if it were popping out of gear. When weight was removed from loader, it ran fine again.

6. Popping and grinding continued for another 30 minutes of operation, especially when under load (pushing with loader or trying to lift something with loader)

7. Conditions worsened yesterday and the machine now fails to move at all. When you engage the shuttle, even in different gears, it pops a bit, some metal crashes internally, and then it doesn't move. Sounds pretty bad to me.

8. It seems to do better when the hydraulic reservoir is completely full. The machine leaks, and it seems to me that as it leaks fluid from the loader cylinders the performance of the drivetrain suffers.



I have never changed the hydraulic fluid or the hydraulic filter.



I have a guy from an hour or so away who has a heavy equipment repair side business. He says he worked on Cats his whole life and has certifications, etc. Seems like a good guy and has started an LLC to repair heavy equipment. Said he will look at it for $75/hr. Has a truck with all the necessary equipment. He is retiring from the military and wants to start this equipment repair business as his retirement income, so I am assuming he isn't some joker looking to rip me off. Being that I only use the machine for jobs around the farm, I am trying to not spend a million dollars fixing it, but from what I have heard these types of repairs can get into the ten thousand dollar range... Ugh.



Thoughts on what the problem could be? Thoughts on using a private mechanic?





Case 580E - Trans or Hydraulic Problem? Won't move.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire