Caterpilar 931/931B transmission problem and parts interchange

mardi 25 novembre 2014

I have owned a Cat 931 track loader for about 6 months. I finally got the chance to put it to work two weeks ago. After 3 hours of work I lost the transmission...no forward or reverse. It was working fine and then stopped suddenly. However when it stopped working I smelled something hot. Converter temp guage stayed in the lower green range. I pulled the floor plates and when I spit on the transmission case the water evaporated within couple seconds. Transmission fluid was fairly clear before but is darker now.....has the color of new engine oil now. I have not pulled the transmission screen yet, but I am assuming the worst....that the reason I got a good price when I bought it was because it needs a transmission rebuilt.



I am looking it assistance in two areas.



First to diagnose my transmission. The local CAT dealer let me talk to their senior techs but they were going by memory and could not locate a manual or technical info on their computer. They said to pull the top plate off the transmission and find two 1/8" pipe thread fittings. One marked P1 and one marked P2. They said one is pump pressure and one is clutch pressure. Both should be 250 to 300 psi.



Any advice would be appreciated.







Second, assuming the worst...that it needs a transmission rebuilt, the CAT technicians said nothing gets out of they shop for less than 10K. That is more than I paid for it.



So I have found a 931B for sale with a bad engine....has been torn down for a year and I am told it needs a crank and rod. I can buy it for about 3K. It has a 3204D engine and my 931 just says 3204. The owner thought his 931B was turbocharged but I could not find and turbo in the boxes filled with his engine parts.



My questions Revolve around making one machine from these two machines.



Will the transmission from the 931B fit in my 931? Visual inspection shows the following;

931B has three speeds forward and three reverse. 931 has three forward and one reverse. Visually they look similar but the 931B transmission us longer and has a shorter driveshaft between the transmission and final drive. 931B also has the optional rear hydraulics so it has a hydraulic pump mounted on it.



If the transmission is difficult or will not work at all, then I need to know if the engine will swap from my 931 to the 931B? I find some some specs on line that say that the 931 has 62 hp and the 931B has 64 hp.



I realize I am posing several questions but I can't find any info on line that helps me. My local CAT dealer said that maybe they can send numbers into their corporate headquarters and ask about interchangeability.



Info is as follows;



931 serial 78U4266 arrangement 5G0515

931 engine 3204 serial 45V79895 arrangement 7N 3800 or 3890 ( hard to read)

No numbers listed for transmission



931B serial 29Y0698 arrangement 5G1083

Engine 45V25490 arrangement 7N6938

Transmission 1AA00708 arrangement 7G7599



I would appreciate any help!! Thanks.





Caterpilar 931/931B transmission problem and parts interchange

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire