mini excavator... snow and ice traction

vendredi 26 juin 2015

explanation is in italics, skip to the question if need be!

I'm new to heavy machinery. I have 15 acres on a steep hill with a house. 4-5 months a year we have snow. The access road to the house is paved/steep. I clear 1/4 mile right now with a Jeep. It piles up at the end of the season, so moving snow once in a while would be important. We get some ice too. I'd like to be able to recover the Jeep with the excavator if need be.

The other months of the year I have enough work lined up to justify buying something old instead of renting. I cut and clear 10 cords of wood a year, and currently split and trailer out the wood. With a thumb on the excavator I could carry the whole log out, or attach a trailer to the excavator and tow out that way. Theres also a number of trails I want to build for the dirtbike. So a mini excavator is making a lot more sense. I like the idea of getting in tough places with the mini. I would get a large grader bucket for the winter snow moving.


My only issue is getting traction on packed snow and ice. I know rubber tracks won't work at all. I called Gripstud and they pointed me towards a particular short screw in stud. Would these work? Does anyone have any experience studding a rubber track? Should I go for a steel track instead?

Any and all advice is welcome when it comes to tracks on snow and ice, in the steep. I looked at the tracks for a ski slope shaper... they are all deep metal tracks. If this doesn't work, i'll go with a backhoe/loader and tire chains.


mini excavator... snow and ice traction

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire