traction in snow and ice... studs?

vendredi 26 juin 2015

mini excavator... snow and ice traction
explanation is in italics, skip to the question if need be!

I'm new to heavy machinery. I have 15 acres on a steep hill with a house. 4-5 months a year we have snow. The access road to the house is paved/steep. I clear 1/4 mile right now with a Jeep. It piles up at the end of the season, so moving snow once in a while would be important. We get some ice too. I'd like to be able to recover the Jeep with the excavator if need be.

The other months of the year I have enough work lined up to justify buying something old instead of renting. I cut and clear 10 cords of wood a year, and currently split and trailer out the wood. With a thumb on the excavator I could carry the whole log out, or attach a trailer to the excavator and tow out that way. Theres also a number of trails I want to build for the dirtbike. So a mini excavator is making a lot more sense. I like the idea of getting in tough places with the mini. I would get a large grader bucket for the winter snow moving. I'm thinking something in the 6000-8000 pound range.


My only issue is getting traction on packed snow and ice. I know rubber tracks won't work at all. I called Gripstud and they pointed me towards a particular short screw in stud. Would these work? Does anyone have any experience studding a rubber track? Should I go for a steel track instead?

Any and all advice is welcome when it comes to tracks on snow and ice, in the steep. I looked at the tracks for a ski slope shaper... they are all deep metal tracks. If this doesn't work, i'll go with a backhoe/loader and tire chains.


traction in snow and ice... studs?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire