Ford 750 rebuild, weak tranny questions

mercredi 25 novembre 2015

Hi all,

I have a Ford 750 TLB that I've been resurrecting, and right now I have the motor out for a sleeve job (it's got a cylinder wall cavitation pinhole).

My question is this: what if anything should I do to the torque converter and/or tranny while the engine is out?

It's hard to say since I don't have anything to gauge it against, but it seemed like I wasn't get much power to the wheels, certainly not as much as the engine seemed to be making. 1st and 2nd gear work, and 3rd is almost useless except on flat pavement or downhill. Uphill in 1st, on say a 20-25% grade, with the engine rev'd pretty high it moves but it's very slow. It digs alright though.

I'm not very familiar with automatic transmissions per se, but what if anything could be going on? Is the torque converter not transmitting power to the tranny? My understanding is that the transmission shifts by having various hydraulically actuated clutches "grab" the appropriate gear, and since the thing shifts okay, is that all it needs to do, or do these clutches somehow slip too? There is a dump valve, which again I don't know much about, but could that be something to look at?

I've filled the hydraulic oil reservoir and changed the filter.

Comments?

Thanks!


Ford 750 rebuild, weak tranny questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire