Cat 314 track adjuster out of alignment-- what is likely the cause/

mardi 29 novembre 2016

Hi,
I have a CAT 314 LCR that I bought used last August. I bought it to clear farmland.
I am not a professional excavator-- I have about 3-400 hours excavating on my farm during the past 5 years on 3 different machines. Mainly land clearing and tiling.

Anyways, I was digging a wide (five feet) long (2400ftJ) utility ditch for a neighbor about 3 weeks ago, and it was a bit of a rush to avoid cave-ins, so I didn't keep the tracks clean. When I did clean the tracks one time-- I noticed the rear carrier roller on the left side had a bent shaft, and I also noticed that I couldn't adjust the track tension on the left. When I got the machine back to my shop I cleaned the machine and then replaced the bad carrier roller-- the shaft was bent down maybe twenty degrees. As I kept inspecting the left track (the adjuster), I discovered that the adjuster cylinder piston was not sitting on the head of the bolt that goes down the center of the adjuster spring--- it was sitting on the ring/washer that covers the back end of the spring. The cylinder does not appear to be bent-- it looks like maybe the spring was pushed sideways (maybe by a rock or just too much heavy clay). Anyways, unscrewing the grease release bolt on the cylinder does not release any grease-- I can't see that anything else is bent or broken.
Can someone tell me what has happened? --Just guessing, but at some point during my recent project the track must have been subjected to extreme tension to bend the carrier idler down-- did this also cause the problem I still have with the tension adjuster?
Please let me know if I am not being clear about the problem--
I have the parts manuel and the shop manuel--
Thanks in advance for the help-- I'm anxious to get back at clearing some land!
Bob


Cat 314 track adjuster out of alignment-- what is likely the cause/

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire