NEW GUY: Case 580c Engine Surge

vendredi 31 octobre 2014

New to Forum, a bit diesel illiterate, I have only worked competently on gasoline engines. I am a total D.I.Y. type of person.



Here is the situation. Bought a 1979 Case 580C with an extendahoe for $4,300. All hydraulic circuits work, tractor runs, but you can understand the condition of the machine based on the price. It is very worn out. I have to start it by jumping the starter solenoid because all of the wiring is cut, missing, or burnt. Changed Fuel and oil filters, but should change hydraulic filter and I should change the antifreeze. Anyways, since I have owned it....1 year, if I operate it at full throttle for approximately 10 minutes, it will stall. If I let it sit for a minute, it will restart just fine. So basically, I don't run the engine at high RPM for any length of time. I do, however, seem to have an engine surge issue. It would only do it if I ran it hard, then stopped and idled it. It surges a bit at Idle sometimes, but surges quite a bit in mid range RPM. I think I have a decent idea of how a diesel engine works, but have no practical experience. With this tractor, I assume that the engine is completely mechanical. I am guessing that the fuel injection system runs consistently on a specific fuel to air ratio (no choke circuit like a gas engine). I do not know how to diagnose or even take proper care of it. Besides air, engine, and fuel filters, I am unaware of other engine maintenance procedures I should perform. I know the expense of a fuel injector pump, but do not know how to test it or if there is anything I can do to keep it in good mechanical shape.



I have been busy rebuilding cylinders, new starter, bushings, etc. I would eventually like to fully rebuild it because it is so darn useful. I am right in the middle of a construction project and I try to keep up with the hydraulic hose bursting.....(yeah, I am very careful of myself and others). I want to make sure that I do not damage the engine inadvertently due to the engine surge. Any advice on engine operation and maintenance is greatly appreciated. I bought a huge online manual for it. It is OK, it has helped me with parts breakdowns, etc, but not "diesels for dummies" section.



thanks.....

brian





NEW GUY: Case 580c Engine Surge

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire